Monday, June 22, 2009

Praise for the Art of Writing

Quotes can be an effective motivator. Even the simplest statement, when said well and by the right person, can leave an imprint. Every once in a while I'll post up a quote or two with quotes about writing, its craft, and how it's done.

From the Spring Paris Review, in an interview with John Banville:
"The sentence is the greatest invention of civilization. To sit all day long assembling these extraordinary strings of words is a marvelous thing. I couldn't ask for anything better. It's as near to godliness as I can get."

From the Writers on Writing series (NYT), Paul West:
"I have a porous vision, into which anything can get, and I welcome all invaders, knowing the world is richer by far than a wall of identical shoe boxes, whose mildewed aura defeats what's creative.
"

No comments:

Post a Comment